TITLE 16 OCCUPATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL LICENSING
CHAPTER 14 NUTRITION AND DIETETIC PRACTITIONERS
PART 10 CODE OF ETHICS
18.104.22.168 ISSUING AGENCY: Nutrition and Dietetic Practice Board, P.O. Box 25101, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504.
[22.214.171.124 NMAC - Rp, 16 NMAC 14.10.1 NMAC, 08/01/2011]
126.96.36.199 SCOPE: The provisions in Part 10 of Chapter 14 apply to any individual licensed to practice as a dietitian, nutritionist or nutrition associate in the state of New Mexico.
[188.8.131.52 NMAC - Rp, 16 NMAC 14.10.2, 08/01/2011]
184.108.40.206 STATUTORY AUTHORITY: Nutrition and Dietetic Practice Act, Section 61-7A-6A(6) NMSA 1978 (1993 Repl. Pamp.).
[220.127.116.11 NMAC - Rp, 16 NMAC 14.10.3, 08/01/2011]
18.104.22.168 DURATION: Permanent.
[22.214.171.124 NMAC - Rp, 16 NMAC 14.10.4, 08/01/2011]
126.96.36.199 EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/01/2011, unless a later date is cited at the end of a section.
[188.8.131.52 NMAC - Rp, 16 NMAC 14.10.5, 08/01/2011 ]
184.108.40.206 OBJECTIVE: To establish a standard of ethical and professional practice for licensed dietitians, nutritionists, and nutrition associates.
[220.127.116.11 NMAC - Rp, 16 NMAC 14.10.6, 08/01/2011]
18.104.22.168 DEFINITIONS: [RESERVED]
22.214.171.124 STANDARDS OF PRACTICE:
A. Non-discrimination: The licensee shall provide nutrition care service with objectivity and with respect for the unique needs and values of an individual.
(1) The licensee shall avoid discrimination on the basis of factors that are irrelevant to the provision of nutrition care services, including, but not limited to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, gender, age, physical disabilities.
(2) The licensee shall provide sufficient information to enable a client to make an informed decision.
(1) The licensee shall accurately represent his or her professional qualifications and credentials.
(2) The licensee shall permit use of that licensee's name for the purpose of certifying that nutrition care services have been rendered only if the licensee has provided or supervised those services.
C. Product promotion: The licensee shall promote or endorse products only in a manner that is true and not misleading.
D. Competence: The licensee shall assume responsibility and accountability for personal competence in practice.
(1) The licensee shall generate, interpret, and use research to enhance nutrition and dietetic practice.
(2) The licensee shall identify, monitor, analyze and justify the use of resources.
(3) The licensee shall maintain knowledge and skills required for continued professional competence. The licensee shall engage in life-long self-development to improve knowledge and skills.
(4) The licensee shall recognize the limits of that licensee's qualifications and seek counsel or make referrals as appropriate. The licensee shall utilize unique knowledge of nutrition, collaborate with other professionals, personnel and consumers, in integrating, interpreting and communicating nutrition care principles.
(5) The licensee shall adhere to acceptable standards for the licensee's area of practice.
(6) When providing supervision of another, a licensee shall assume responsibility for the supervision in a manner which protects the public.
(7) When a licensee approves a general program of weight control, the licensee assumes responsibility for the general program of weight control including the diet and the guidelines for instruction of customers.
E. Compliance with law: The licensee shall comply with all laws and regulations concerning the profession.
F. Professional conduct:
(1) The licensee shall present substantiated information and interpret controversial information without personal bias, recognizing that a legitimate difference of opinion may exist.
(2) The licensee shall maintain the confidentiality of information consistent with legal obligations.
(3) The licensee shall conduct all practices with honesty, integrity, and fairness.
(4) The licensee shall inform the public and colleagues of services by use of factual information. The licensee shall not advertise in a misleading manner.
[126.96.36.199 NMAC - Rp, 16 NMAC 14.10.8, 08/01/2011]
HISTORY OF 16.14.10 NMAC:
Pre-NMAC History: The material in this part was derived from that previously filed with the State Records Center:
N&D Rule 90-15, Standards for Professional Responsibility and Practice (Code of Ethics), filed 2/28/90.
Rule 9, Standard for Professional Responsibility and Practice (Code of Ethics), filed 3/8/93.
History of Repealed Material:
16 NMAC 14.10, Code of Ethics, filed 08/19/1996 - Repealed effective 08/01/2011.