State Archives of New Mexico – A National Archives Affiliate
The State Archives of New Mexico is the central archives of New Mexico State Government. The agency is mandated by law to collect, preserve and make available to the public and all branches of government, permanent public records, historical manuscripts, photographs and other materials that contribute to the understanding of New Mexico history. Records at the State Archives are available to the public in accordance with the New Mexico Public Records Act and agency rules. All records are open for use except those specifically restricted by law. The Division offers reference assistance on-site, by telephone, mail or e-mail.
Collections maintained include:
- Government records, 1621- present
- County records, 1850-1912
- Manuscripts (non-government)
- Film & video collections
- Genealogy materials (Catholic church records; census; published family histories).
- Private papers: letters, diaries, wills, maps, and photographs pertaining to New Mexico or the Southwest.